Destiny (PS4)

A place to discuss other games we're playing.

Re: Destiny (PS4)

Postby autumn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Yeah 100% agree with that, I even read a blurb from bungie that said Destiny isn't an MMO, it's a 'Shared World Shooter'. But as it borrows so many MMO tropes it's hard to look past that. My expectations were that it wouldn't be as deep as a subscription MMO of recent years, but it would provide 30-40 hours of content before the grind sets in. I wasn't rushing the story but had that finished in 10 hours and all the strikes and side missions cleared up in 11-12. That's what's shocked me most about it, especially with all the PR talk of it being the biggest world they've created and the levelling speed being increased in the beta and it'd take longer in the full release (bullshit!)

I really think you're right in regards to it being a very solid foundation/groundwork as well. The gameplay is there and there's room to develop/add more subclasses. The gear upgrade system is solid and the lore and universe they've created is beautiful. It also has some of the best ai I've come across with each species having their own characteristics and quirks. The raids could throw open the doors on a whole new style of gameplay as well where those skills become more defined and essential.

Fingers crossed for it's future because it has so much potential.

I hope they hurry up and add some way to communicate via text chat.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leshrack: I don't watch drawn things, they are for children.
Pat on being combat medic for the first ACE 3 immersion night with full advanced medical turned on:
"You'll all be fine, as long as you don't sustain any wounds of any description."
autumn
Operational Command

Postby autumn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:53 pm

Also check this out

http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Events- ... ?aid=12133

it says

September
Queen's Wrath
Accept her orders. Settle old scores.

Obviously this is the Queen of the Reef (there's a picture of her). So will this be continuing the storyline after she does that favour for you and says she will call upon you when she needs you? Presumably the way its worded it's not just repeating an old mission on a special difficulty.

Is this a promise of more story content? If it's drip fed to us I hope it'll be sizeable rather than just an odd mission every month.

And the colour coding in that post.

Red for crucible obvs, purple appears to be for Raids, what does the yellow signify? Is that story mission? or Strike?
Pat on being combat medic for the first ACE 3 immersion night with full advanced medical turned on:
"You'll all be fine, as long as you don't sustain any wounds of any description."
autumn
Operational Command

Postby Shredeemer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:36 pm

I would assume by looking at it, that yellow is "main-line" quests.... and it does feel like she's calling back on that favour..... also, I've noticed that the Rift is completely empty save her mission when it pops up.... there MUST be more to the Rift than what they're showing us...
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
ImageImage

Shredeemer

Postby autumn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:03 am

Shred are you on ps4 with your psn account?

Can we get enough to run Vault of Glass?
autumn
Operational Command

Postby HenchPanda » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:22 am

I've picked this up too by the way. Level 20 Warlock currently. PSN - HenchCorgi if you want to do anything.
"Throw me to the wolves
I'll return leading the pack"

ImageImage

ImageImage
HenchPanda

Postby Shredeemer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Yes.... PSN is Shredeemer... as always... and Im lagging a little behind on hitting the vault.... cant seem to find anymore gear to get me past 21.... all ive been getting the last 3 days are rare primary weaps, and a shiteload of useless green armours.
ImageImage

Shredeemer

Postby Shredeemer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:58 pm

just gonna put this here.... says everything I feel about destiny so far.... including why so many people are selling it short with only a handfull of play-time under their belt

http://www.gamesradar.com/if-youre-worried-about-destinys-longevity-or-level-cap-you-dont-understand-destiny/
ImageImage

Shredeemer

Postby autumn » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:54 am

22hrs 37mins of gameplay.

the game still finished at the 11-13 hr mark for me.

What's happened since? I've repeated a load of content I've already done at a higher difficulty which has panned out pretty much the same. Earned a load of shite green loot and a few blues which have crept up my light level to 22 at the expense of the stat i actually need. I've earnt half my marks/rep for my legendary armour by grinding the same bounties over and over.

none of this would I mind if I'd been playing the game before all this for days. The fact it's after less than 15 hours of gameplay is the problem I have with it. 15 hours man, that's nothing in terms of gameplay. And they're asking me to repeat this for hours. Where's the new content that unlocks for lvl 20s so there's loads of fresh stuff to tackle in order to raise your light cap.

The one bit of genuinely new content I have to look forward to (that's actually in the game, there, tangible goodness that isn't a vague promise) is locked behind not only relying on RNG to be kind to me and give me good loot to increase my light level but you guys on my friends list to get your light level up (relying on that unreliable RNG god out there) to the same point, then finding the time to do it.

All these articles just cling to the hope that there will be some meaningful content further down the line but personally seeing is believing and what the game is to me right now is a loot grind with painfully slow drops that, unless I start actively looking on the internet (not in game because a party finder is too much to ask for) for a group, you can say goodbye to that lvl 26 raid even if luck allows me to reach that point.

In a years time this might be the greatest FPS MMO 'Shared world shooter' ever but right now it's painfully short and lacking in content.
autumn
Operational Command

Postby Shredeemer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:18 am

I respect your opinion, and hold to my own. Even though I'm basically "stuck" at level 21... with over 40 hours into the game.

Destiny isn't over. We only have the core of the game. Don't give up yet.

PS: a bit of speculation; possible unrevealed content, look at the number of unfilled circles on your map (including off the sides of each planet map), I have a feeling that these could end up being links for new locations on each planet... also, we still don't know how much content will be coming with the Awoken Queen continuation, we may see a whole new Rift. Also, Xur, Agent of the Nine: we know not what, or who, the Nine are... only that Xur comes, in their name, from the Jovian moons... beyond the Rift, just to trade with us. .... there's more, but I can't think of it right now.
ImageImage

Shredeemer

Postby autumn » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:25 am

Yeah it is early days, you're right; and it's frustrating me more because I REALLY like the gameplay and the aesthetics. It's just feeling quite pointless at the moment and killing the same bounty four times last night was really starting to drag! Also every chest piece since hitting 20 that I've found looks basically identical :/ I want that legendary piece, but then what?
autumn
Operational Command

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games